Fresh From The Garden...

Welcome to my new blog... My First Vegetable Garden. It is dedicated to new gardeners and I plan to blog about and video the entire 2014 gardening season.

I will cover and teach you about every aspect of home gardening that you can think of! Please follow my blog as it will take you from starting your own seeds to harvesting 2 pound heirloom tomatoes and more! Learn how to grow the vegetables on your right...

Search my TWO blogs by entering key garden words...

Starting Mixes, Seed Cells and Seed Starting Set Up

Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Organic Blood Meal - What is It & How to Use it on Garden Vegetables: Go Organic!

Organic Blood Meal - What is It & How to Use it on Garden Vegetables: Go Organic!
(Shared from my other blog: The Rusted Garden)


Blood meal is an organic product. I am not a 100% organic gardener but lean toward it heavily. I believe in using the right product, in the right way and at the right time. The three rights are meant to prevent getting overly frustrated and losing vegetables plants. Gardening is meant to be fun and enjoyable. There are great man-made or synthetic products and there are bad organic products and vice-versa. I recommend learning about them all. Organic when you can but not to the point of crop loss and frustration.

Blood meal is derived from animal blood. While the product is organic and when processed correctly consider to be 100% certified organic, it still may not meet your standards. After all, if you are a vegetarian or believe animals should not be used for food, this may not be the product for you. Other questions might be based on how the animals are raised and fed. Is the feed organically grown or does it come from food grown with synthetic fertilizer. My point is to not lose sight of the fact you are gardening to enjoy yourself.

Organic products have really come down in price and are now much more easily found. A good benefit of blood meal is that it does not leave behind elements like salt that can be a by product of certain synthetic fertilizers when creating the nitrogen component. Blood meal adds significant nitrogen to your garden which will help your plants with green growth.

It also nourishes microbes and bacteria in your garden soil. Even if over used, it won't burn out plant roots. It also has the characteristic of deterring rabbits and squirrels from your garden. The reason I am leaning more heavily toward organic fertilizers is because they promote the life structure of your garden soil. Synthetic fertilizers while they do help the plants, often kill out  beneficial bacteria and micro organisms.

The video explains the basic use of blood meal in your garden. I didn't choose this product solely based on it being organic. I took into account all of the above. I think it also a great alternative to synthetic fertilizers when planting in containers. The risk of salt build up is much higher in containers. Remember finding the right product, at the right time and using it the right way is the key to successful gardening.


Visit my YouTube Site dedicated to New Gardeners:
My First Vegetable Garden

Join a Community of World Gardeners at
My Google+ Community - My First Vegetable Garden!

No comments:

Post a Comment